Most DB plan sponsors that freeze their plan want to terminate it completely someday.
Terminating the plan allows plan sponsors to:
- Pay plan participants the benefit they have earned.
- Eliminate the liability that they have had to manage as part of the plan.
There are a lot of moving pieces leading up to a DB plan termination including:
- Administrative tasks (such as participant notices, election forms, government filings, etc.),
- Plan document amendments,
- Annuity purchase decisions,
- Protecting the plan’s funding status (which is so critical to maintain during this process).